Welcome to the Cryobank Friends Blogspot

This is a blogspot dedicated to same sex couples seeking to grow their families through insemination. This space is for us to chat, provide information and learn by sharing experiences. Please send me your email and once you're added as a friend you can create your own posts! Just send me an email - srhodes803@gmail.com!

Monday, January 12, 2009

My experience having a D&C...

The night before I was a bit nervous so sleeping was rather difficult especially since you can't eat or drink after midnight. We had to arrive at the hospital at 5:30 am for the procedure at 7:30am.  After checking in I was sent to Same Day Surgery Area A where they provided me a room. I was luckily there early enough to get a room vs. the beds divided by curtains in the main room. Of course the next thing was strip down to the socks and put on the gown. I waited for about 25 minutes while Vickie was in the waiting room. When they came in and began all the questions to put in their file they called to tell the waiting room Vickie could come back. 

We went through the 50 questions, are you on any medication, do you drink, do you take illegal drugs, have you ever had.... the usual medical questionnaire.  After another 15 minutes Vickie finally joined us, apparently they forgot to tell her it was okay to come back!  The anesthesiologist nurse came in to ask similar questions, all making sure I haven't had a bad reaction to meds in the past. 

The time went quickly and pretty soon they were saying, it's time to go to pre-op. I got my good- bye kiss and Vickie was off back to the waiting room. As they wheeled me into pre-op there was a row of beds, divided by curtains, with nurses and doctors ready to pounce on each new patient wheeled in.  Quickly my anesthesiologist came over and introduced himself, both he and the nurse asked me to verify the procedure I was having done. I felt good about that but then overwhelmed by naming the procedure I was having done and started to cry.  Both were quite compassionate, offered tissue and the anest. said, once you visit with your doctor I will hurry and give you the good stuff so you don't remember anything. Sure enough after hugging my doctor, having a quick chat about how Starbucks was not open for Vickie, I remember wheeling out of the curtain area, then waking up with a nice nurse named Cindy in post-op.  (see another post, I'll share a great story about her and how she opened up about her gay son!) 

In post-op I stayed there from I think about 8:00 - 10:00 am, I was able to drink some water, gain coherence then they moved me back to Same Day Surgery for recovery before being released.  When I got to Same Day Surgery to my great surprise Vickie was there as I rolled in. I was in and out, sleeping for about the next 2 hours. I had some nausea as we went from post-op to recovery so they gave me something once I arrived. This plus the pain meds made me quite sleepy. 

Before I could be released I had to drink liquids and use the restroom. Once I was coherent about 12:00 I noticed I was leaking a little and was told that would happen the next few days.  They sent me home at 12:30 with Methergine (uterine stimulant to prevent and treat bleeding) and Hydrocodone (narcotic and acetaminophen) for pain.  After a quick stop at Walgreens for the meds (I slept in the car) we were home. We both slept the remainder of the day. The Methergine actually made me achy in my abdomen a bit. That was 4 pills every 6 hours. 

Had the surgery on Friday Jan 9. On Sat & Sun. I would feel better in spurts then would feel completely exhausted. I tried to go to work on Monday, it was difficult emotionally but a little before noon I started to bleed and cramp again. Doctor called and requested that I try to work from home and take it easy this week as I should expect to be physically and mentally tired. Evidently I'm not healing as quickly as I should and need to relax and lay down. It's weird how my energy fluctuates so quickly. I tried to get off the pain med but had to resume today when I came home at noon. Really just ready for all to be over!

3 comments:

Kimi723 said...

Shannon,

I am so sorry to hear that the last few days have been rough for you. I really hope that things get easier as the week moves forward.

You are in my thoughts!
Kimberly

Anne said...

Shannon, I read this a few days ago and your post is still on my mind. I really am impressed that you're willing to share this with us -- it's a part of the whole fertility experience, but definitely not one that people talk about much. So it felt sobering but also really grounding to read this post and the earlier one about miscarriage. I'm sorry you had to go through it, and I'm grateful to you for sharing it.

Shannon and Vickie said...

Aqua & Kim
thank you... I appreciate you both for your kind thoughts and the encouraging comments... the whole experience has been truly eye opening, you know that whole thing where you know it happens, you just don't expect it to happen to you kind of feeling... This blog and the cryobank chats have been wonderfully supportive and honestly very healing. Sharing has really helped us get through this time! Thank you