Welcome to the Cryobank Friends Blogspot

This is a blogspot dedicated to same sex couples seeking to grow their families through insemination. This space is for us to chat, provide information and learn by sharing experiences. Please send me your email and once you're added as a friend you can create your own posts! Just send me an email - srhodes803@gmail.com!

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Miscarriage doesn't mean you did anything Wrong!

This is what I am repeating to myself!  The doctor explained that really a miscarriage is your body's way of ending a pregnancy that was not going to be good. There are several types of miscarriage but one of the most common and the one that has occurred for us is the blighted ovum. This is when your body creates the gestational sack in your uterus and the baby begins to develop but when the chromosomes started to combine in the sperm and egg then multiple, the genetic abnormality occurs and stops or delays the development of the embryo. 

The blighted ovum seems to be the earliest to note but can take the longest to miscarry naturally because the body is still creating the pregnancy hormone and thinks everything is great. In my case I still have a level of 15,000 HCG at 9 weeks so regardless of the baby's stop in development at 5 weeks 3 days, the body is still pregnant and will still recognize this hormone and create all the pregnancy symptoms in the body until the products of conception are removed. 

Wow - I never thought I would know so much about the female anatomy! I also learned that while HCG is important to know, the ultrasound is the more definitive test for viability! 

2 comments:

Pero-Luter said...

My partner also had a m/c in June but we were a chemical pregnancy. Right now we are in our 5th week (3week fetal) and very nervous! We are getting regular beta tests, and while they keep going up it is still hard to stay positive.

Thanks for creating this blog.. We are at www.cravingofmotherhood.blogspot.com

Shannon and Vickie said...

Motherhood -
Love your blog by the way! I have a feeling I will be reaching out to you when we start to try again to ask how you made it through? Thoughts are with you as you make it through the early days and hopefully right on into the days ahead!